The roof of your home is quite possibly your home's most important feature. After all, your roof serves as a physical barrier between your household and the elements, protecting your family from rain, snow, hail, ice, debris, falling branches, birds, and much more. It's also responsible for insulating your home, and for making it appear more attractive. In short, your roof is important—and is perhaps your greatest investment when it comes to making roofing repairs or replacements.
That said, finding a roofing contractor that you can trust to provide top-quality solutions at cost-effective prices is pretty important, too. After all, the right roofing contractors can help you to maintain and repair your roof when necessary, prolonging its life expectancy. A great roofer will be able to spot smaller problems before they become bigger ones—while doing everything possible to reduce your costs for roofing repairs now and into the future.
If you're seeking out top-quality roofers in or around Indianapolis, Cochran Exteriors is here for you. With over 50 years of combined experience in the industry, our team has the knowledge and experience that you need to know your investment is in good hands. Not all roofing contractors are made alike, however—and it's important to know what to look for when weeding through the best and the worst in the industry. In this guide, our seasoned professionals will share some important advice for those hoping to find a roofer that is committed to your best interests.
Choosing a Roofing Specialist in Indianapolis
In Indianapolis, homeowners should choose a contractor that understands our area's climate. Our city and the surrounding areas experience four distinct seasons, with intense heat in the summer and freezing conditions in the winter—and often a lot of snowfall, ice storms, and a freezing and thawing cycle that can be damaging to rooftops and other installations.
Protecting your investment here means making sure your roofing installation is in tip-top shape year-round to prevent further damage as we rotate through the most intense days and nights of the seasons. Local, licensed contractors from highly rated, established remodeling companies are your best bet for the best quality care and upkeep of your roofing system.
What to Look for: Evaluating Roofing Contractors
Beyond this, there are many other things you can look for when choosing a roofing contractor to work with. Here are some of the most important factors to consider when searching for the right company:
- Licensed, Bonded, and Insured: Check the roofing company for proof of contractor's licenses, worker's compensation insurance, and liability insurance. Don't take their word for it, either—even if they show you copies of their certifications, make sure to follow-up with the insurance providers and city hall to see whether they're really valid contractors in your area.
- Service and Product Warranties: Ask what kind of warranty programs come with their services, installations, and products. The average workmanship warranty is around a year or longer, but the length and terms will vary from contractor to contractor. You'll also want to see product warranty options and choose the best one. A reliable contractor will offer a valid contract in writing—and again, will have the license, insurance, and other certifications that you can trust.
- Compare and Check Rates: Compare rates between companies and evaluate the services that each quote covers. Most importantly, don't let the cheapest contractors convince you to let them do the job, unless they've proven themselves reliable, capable, and trustworthy. Many scam artists or unlicensed, inexperienced contractors lure unassuming homeowners in with impossibly low rates. In many cases, these low-cost roofers only to disappoint them in the end with a problematic roof repair or installation that isn't guaranteed.
- Avoid Scam Artists and Storm Chasers: Scam artists and “storm chasers” frequently prey on entire cities after heavy storms have passed through the area. These roofers will knock on people's homes, going door-to-door with high-pressure sales pitches and sometimes services that you don't need. Even if you do need these services, the work they perform isn't usually covered by a legitimate warranty or contract. If you have problems with the work they've done to repair your leaky or problematic roof, chances are you won't be able to find them again—leaving you high and dry (or simply wet and out of money).
- Take Advantage of In-Home Pricing Estimates: As you compare companies and rates, have your top choices come and meet you in your home for an on-site pricing estimate. This will give you a chance to evaluate your potential roofing team, to ask questions about their services, and to examine their professionalism and the contract they offer you for their roofing repair services. Choose the one with the best rates, that offers the best value, and that you feel comfortable with.
High-Quality Exterior Remodeling and Roof Repair in Indianapolis
In Indianapolis, your best choice for top-quality roofing repairs, replacement, and other exterior remodeling services is Cochran Exteriors. We go above and beyond to craft customized and affordable solutions for our customers according to their preferences and budget. With top-quality products, state-of-the-art installations, and a strong track record of satisfied customers, we go above and beyond to make sure your investment into your home is a resounding success. If you'd like more information about our services at Cochran Exteriors, give our team a call now. You can also fill out our online form to request a free, in-home pricing estimate and consultation.
Subscribe to Cochran Exteriors's Blog