If you’ve never really thought about your roof ventilation system, you aren’t alone. Many Indianapolis homeowners overlook this component of their roofing installation. If you’re planning to replace your roof, however, it’s important to understand this key feature so that you can get the most value from your home improvement. Explore the many benefits of roof ventilation below, or contact Cochran Exteriors to have all your questions answered during a free, no-obligation roofing consultation today!
Why Is Roof Ventilation Important?
There are several different types of roof ventilation, but they all serve basically the same purpose: they allow air to flow freely into and out of your attic. By doing so, roof ventilation:
- Prevents hot air from getting trapped inside, reducing the demand on your HVAC system.
- Allows the roof surface to remain cold during the winter, preventing snow from melting and causing ice dams.
- Helps maintain a more stable and comfortable interior temperature.
- Reduces the strain on your roof shingles, extending their expected lifetime and performance.
Types of Roof Ventilation for Indianapolis Homes
While some ventilation is better than none, the best roof ventilation systems are those specifically designed for the size and build of each specific property. Since no two roofs are exactly the same, no two roof ventilation systems should be, either! At Cochran Exteriors, we specialize in custom ventilation systems comprised of several types of vents:
- Ridge Vents: Ridge vents are installed along the roof peaks, allowing rising hot air to escape. Ridge vents are typically installed under shingles for a seamless look.
- Soffit Vents: Located on the bottom of roof eaves, soffit vents allow cooler air into your attic to replace the warm air escaping through the ridge vents.
- Gable-End Vents: Gabled-end vents are highly versatile in that they allow cool air in as well as warm air out.
- Powered Attic Ventilators: For homes that do not have adequate vents, powered attic ventilators can do the bulk of the work by using an electrically powered fan to push warm air out.
Request Your Comprehensive Roofing Inspection and Ventilation Estimate Today
Roof ventilation plays a significant role in determining the overall lifetime and energy efficiency of your roofing system, and it’s worthwhile to have a discussion about this feature with your trusted Indianapolis roofing contractor before doing any work on your roof. For expertise in roof ventilation of every kind, contact Cochran Exteriors today!
We have background-checked, drug-tested, and factory-certified roofers ready to find out more about your home and help build the perfect roof ventilation system for you. Get started with your free in-home estimate now by calling or filling out our quick online form.